Friday, December 5, 2008

Letter


Dear Emergency Room Staff,

I greatly appreciate your services last night and thank you for your time. However, I did want to make you aware that making me feel stupid for making the choice to bring my son in and then overlooking the problem is deeply disappointing.

Let me first point out, that my choice to bring him in, was not on my own accord. I actually called his pediatrician first and asked for a last minute same day appointment with them. They were happy to oblige but were concerned that my sweet, normally happy go lucky little boy would be dehydrated and require your services. This call was made solely on the fact that they didn't want for me to pay for an ambulance to take my angel boy from their office to your hospital.

Upon arriving at your quaint ER with no parking close by, and signing in. I was greeted with the admissions nurse who quickly called me stupid for not giving my sick little boy Tylenol or Motrin with a 102.5 temp. Why, wouldn't I do this you ask? Well, I had just gotten off the phone with the pediatrician who told me to go straight to the ER. I did not stop to pull out my Tylenol, knowing that you would most likely administer this to my cutie pie. Once I was shoved into the Fast Track room like an over reactive mother. Your Nurse that greeted me, was the same nurse that I had with my spouse just 5 days earlier. You honestly must think we are a house full of hypochondriacs, but really we are logical.

After your physicians looked at my lethargic little boy and took some labs , you had ruled out ear infection, strep, and dehydration (borderline). You officially called it a "viral thing" and sent a rather dumb feeling momma on her way. (albeit, 2 hours later)

Lucky for you, I already had an appointment at the pediatricians office today for my baby girl's 6 month check up. While I was there, they went ahead and pulled my snotty faced little boys chart and had the doc look him over.
Turns out, this momma, not so stupid. I understand that you are entitled to your opinion, but when you say NO ear infection, what you really meant was he has one. and when you said no Strep, what you really meant was He needs antibiotics.

You see, it turns out, I know my kids. When they are not feeling well. I know the difference between a cold/ viral thing and something that requires medical attention by someone with a medical degree.

Anyway, lucky for you we got this straightened out.

Sincerely,
Not so stupid Momma

4 comments:

Becky said...

Idiots!!! I am glad he is ok now! You know your kids!

Olivia Meikle said...

Idiotas!!

Hey, I was in the hospital waiting room for a few hours yesterday too! We should totally have hung out. :)

Adolescent Family said...

I have been to said ER and have had a similar experience. I won't bore you with the details. :) Hope the kids are doing better and you are getting some rest as well :)

Oh, and Tylenol doesn't make everything better. Tell that to the ER grinch next time you have to see her :)

Lisbun said...

Sorry to hear this Sis, first the school district then the ER, I think yo may want to re-evaluate the area. :(

Well, I hope all goes better soon, Its no fun having sick kids.