It was this time last year that our house was all packed up. We knew in November that there would be a move for us in the future, we just weren't sure which place we would choose. We prayed and prayed. Visited the temple. We kept getting the same feeling. Either place would be ok. I don't like choices like that. This was a huge decision for us. Would we really make the right one, was their a wrong one?
I am glad it was Iowa and not Oklahoma City. Neither of which I thought I would ever call home. Iowa was the best choice for our family, and C and I always spoke about coming back to the Midwest. We had a great time in Minnesota many years ago and we always knew that we wanted to move back to the Midwest, we just never thought this would be where we would land. I guess we always thought it would be a big city with tall buildings. The tallest building in the Quad Cities is seven stories.
C, is very happy at his job and loves baseball. We are locked in under a 5 year contract with 4 more to go. Where did this year go? Really? It is so hard to believe how fast time goes when your kids are little. My dad used to say that all the time, but he's right. Enjoy the little kiddies while they are still little, because before you know it they won't be little anymore.
Family time in our house is a coveted event. The Holidays are no exception, but become even more so since we are not going to be able to be with any of our family this year.
We spend a lot of time reminiscing and thinking about them.
The other morning I pulled out the scrapbook that Grandma made for us about Grandpa.
My dad made an early exit in this life and he is so deeply missed. Our children have done very well with this fact and from the time he first left us, we introduced them to his star, always watching over us, still giving us the opportunity to look up in the night sky and say good night. The star will almost always twinkle back and the kids are content with the knowledge that Grandpa will forever be with us in our hearts.
Since they are still fairly little we wanted to keep his memory alive. We frequent "the book" to look at his pictures and talk about how much we love him.
This time was a little different. I pulled the book from the bookcase and we looked through the pictures. We talked about the different events and then I took out a letter I wrote to my dad a year after he passed and I began to read it aloud. I had only read the first few lines before I could read no more. Chan urged me to continue. I struggled to begin again and Beans began to sob. She has not cried like this before. She could not help it. The feeling of peace and love in our home was so strong. Grandpa was sending his love and a great big hug. We were all soon crowded onto the couch bawling as I struggled to finish the letter. It was a special moment and I am grateful for our beloved family time.
I just wanted to let Grandpa know that we are thinking of him and we love him. We speak of him daily as he is always in our hearts. It has been almost three years now, and our thoughts and prayers continue to be with mom. We love you both and wish we could be with you.
1 week ago





1 comment:
I was just thinking of him yesterday too, How our families are growing and strengthening and we are all making an effort to stay connected. Yet things just arent the same. Thanks for sharing this. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who still misses him so much.
The boys and I have a special "grandpa' ornament that we put on the tree. Just like your star, it is the little things that keep the hearts going until we get to see him again.
Post a Comment