To whom it may concern,
This is how my dad used to always start all of his letters to our school when he was writing us an excuse for missing any days or time. I have always really wondered if "whom" appreciated the formality or if they just knew that the person that wrote the letter really had no idea who was going to be reading it and really if they even cared how the letter was addressed.
So, I write this post To whom it may concern. I have to say that I am deeply saddened. I spend the majority of my days watching my beautiful little two year old son drift away from the adorable, happy go lucky, go with the flow kind of smile, to a blank stare. I watch in horror as I recognize him regress in speech, motor skills and social, emotional ability. I watch with my husband as we try to cherish each day, fully understanding that good days will be rare and that from here on out we will only see glimpses of the sweet boy we used to know. The tantrums, the meltdowns, the anger will overcome him and occasionally we will be granted a hug. A warm smile, and a loving little child. I am mad as hell and scared at the same time.
We didn't sign up for this.
We intend to fight for him and give him the best advantages possible. We will continue our move forward with support groups, therapy and early intervention. We will work hard to save what we can. We will not let you take another little boy from us while we just sit here and watch it happen.
We already miss our son and we weep with the knowledge that you have already taken a piece of him. You have picked the wrong family! We were built with strength and perseverance. You don't stand a chance and I hope you know that this little boy means the world to us! I think it is only fair that you understand that you will lose this battle. We work hard for what we have and we do not take it lightly when something we cherish is being taken from us.
Signed, The Mother that intends to fight until we win
Today was the day we knew we needed to have, but also the day you wish you didn't have to have.
Today, Nooshie was diagnosed as a child on the Autism spectrum. They are leaning towards Aspergers, just like his big brother, but they would like to evaluate him some more.
The Early Childhood Special Education Autism Resource Team will be placing him in a FULL TIME early intervention education program at the local center. He will attend 5 days a week, 7 hours a day. He will be challenged here. The goal is to keep him fully engaged the entire day so we do not continue to lose him. He will attend every day even through the summer, then in the fall he will be placed in a district program since he will be three years old.
He will also have an occupational therapist that will work with him weekly at the center to help with his sensory disorder.
We were also told that he is on the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder scale and that they will address this too. He will begin seeing the same psychologist as Chan and it is at that point he will be given the official label and a determination of where he falls on the spectrum.
Devastation is the only word I can think of to describe our feelings about this and yet it does not seem strong enough to handle all of our emotions. We feel as though we have been defeated and that we have already lost the son we know, although we have not.
There are some feelings and a small desire to give up and why do I even bother, but we know that when we are done mourning and feeling sorry for ourselves that we will fight more than we have ever fought. I do not think this would be half as hard to take if we had not already been through this. The first time we didn't realize what was happening and what the end result would be. This time we do.
I love our son and I understand that we are all given trials that we can handle, but in my immediate dismay, I am angry and frustrated. I want to blame our Heavenly Father and ask him why? Why would we be given two wonderful sons with such a difficult task to live with? Why would we have another when we are already overwhelmed with one?
I know the day will come when we might possibly see the blessings, but today- we mourn. Today, I hold our son and cry. I feel as though we have been defeated. I crumble inside and try to maintain my confidence on the outside.
I want a do over.





10 comments:
I am sorry, but you are wrong. You did sign up for this. This is exactly what you signed up for. The cool part is that our Heavenly Father thinks enough of you to trust you with these amazing children of his. We love you! You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Truly, from the bottom of my heart, I am SO sorry :( I am crying for you right now. I can remember going through all of those emotions, and you are more brave and courageous than I for doing it more than once.
You are however probably in the best possible place. There are so many good services here for exactly what you are going through. He is so young and you are SO on-the-ball. Actually tomorrow is the Autism Society meeting and they are talking about how to get on the waiver and hooked up with all the services. Call me if you want more info. or even just to vent :)
Remember that you are loved and that you CAN do this. I know its of little comfort, but its something :)
As I read what you beautifully wrote, I cried. I cried because I can not imagine what you are going though. I cry because this too could happen to me, to anyone. I want to be there to give you a big hug and say that Heavenly Father knows you better than you know yourself and you have to consider it an honor to be trusted twice with these amazing challenges. You can do it. Out of everyone I know, you, yes YOU are so on top of it, you are so together, even when you think your not. You inspire me. We love you and your sweet family
We love you! You are he best mom! These wonderful children were sent to you because they need you! You and C are great. I'm here!
Hey! How about a warning next time? Like an, "I'm about to make you cry with sadness for Noosh, thankfulness for Heavenly Father's plan, and sypmathy for dear friends", kind of warning. It will be a long time, but you will win. When Nooshie is 6 or 7, he will find an amazing friend who will love to play with him, and talk about dorky things he likes, and jump for hours on a trampoline with him. Chan has been doing so well, and Nooshie will too. You can C were hand-picked to get these little boys. NO ONE else was right for the job.
Love y'all...
Your words are poignant, and even for those of us who haven't experienced or felt this, we feel it through your words.
You were "built" just right for this. I can think of no better person up to the task of battling this.
Those children know who they are and know they are loved---even if they can't say it back.
We are thinking of you and praying for you all. Keep the faith.
And I'm with UCMama. A little warning next time, please.
You are an amazing mother! I can't fathom how you are feeling! I have seen it in my aunt who has 2 sons who are autistic. You are so much like her! You are both so strong and you are both going to make it! Adolescent is right, this is a good place to be! So many services available!
Please know there are so many people praying for you. Please call me anytime!
We are in this together! Lean on us anytime!
Even old friends far away are thinking of you and praying for you. I'm not one who claims to be able to explain why life isn't always fair, but it certainly isn't sometimes. I can't imagine the pain and fear you must be feeling. I'm so glad you have the gospel. At least there is one who does understand how you feel.
Hang in there- You can do it-
the Halversens
Thank you for sharing. I think the hardest part is acknowledging. Then going through the grieving process of what you will not have. I will not say I am sorry for you. I don't like it when people say it to me. I am not sorry that this child came to live with me. I do feel for you and hope that you will be blessed with patience and knowledge. This will help you on those hard days. Know that you are loved. I do hope that Chan and Noosh will have this amazing connection and will be advocates for each other. Miss you and take care.
I can not even imagine what this must feel like. You are an AMAZING woman. We are praying for you. If there is anything you need, do not feel hesitant to ask!!
Post a Comment