Occasionally I am given the opportunity to read a few chapters of a book. This doesn't happen as often as I would like, so it is hard to read a book when I know I would get sucked in to it.
I generally pick gospel related books. The kind that you can read one or two chapters one day and then three weeks later read a couple more.
Tonight I happened upon a chapter in one of these gospel centered books about Testimony.
I can say with all truthfulness that I have a testimony of the Gospel in the Church.
I have not always had this testimony, and at a certain point in my life I was confused because I had been raised all my life as a member, I assumed I was sort of born with a testimony. You know the one I would recite at the podium as a child.
When I was in my twenties, (ya ya it's been a while) I realized that I had outgrown the testimony I was given as a child and I had not yet received my testimony of the gospel. I had been living off the testimony of my parents and this is not a bad thing, but at some point, in order to really grow, you need to find your own.
I remember when I found it. I was on a spiritual high for weeks. I remember telling my mom that I wish I could always feel this way - it seemed so easy and life was good.
Now, back to the book. I was reading an excerpt from one of the general authorities and his experience with his own testimony.
He shared Doctrine and Covenants 46:13 "To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus the Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world."
I have personally witnessed this. I have been given this by the Holy Ghost. I felt and still feel a yes.
Then in Doctrine and Covenants 46:14 "To others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful."
It is okay to believe on the the words of someone who has a testimony if you have yet to find yours.
I used to be a Verse 14 kind of girl. One that believed on the words of another. It was that of my parents.
I can now say that I am officially a Verse 13 kind of girl.
A testimony is a special and sacred thing. I used to take this for granted. I do no longer. I have a testimony and I am thankful for the knowledge that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
That is all. No more preachy stuff, just needed to share. My version of bearing my testimony since technically it has been awhile.
1 week ago





3 comments:
Beautiful! Thank you.
What do people do without testimonies? How do they do everyday things, or life-changing things, without the knowledge of a Heavenly Father who loves them and knows the secrets of their hearts? This is a beautiful testimony. I appreciate you sharing it :)
Melinda, thank you so much for sharing this. I too read church books as you do, a chapter here and there.
After reading this I have wondered when the last time was that I shared my testimony, and well..... it has been a while.
Maybe, just maybe, I will find a way to share soon.
Post a Comment