Wednesday, April 1, 2009

AWESOME!



That's all I can say.
spiritually uplifting and inspirational all rolled into one!

I have always sort of criticized myself about my talents. I felt as though I was trying too hard to pretend that I was actually talented at something. I expected that everyone should be born with something. A beautiful voice, the hands to paint well, the eye to see the most beautiful picture and then the ability to capture it to film for all to see. An amazing pianist, or just simply beautiful.

I had none of these.

I thought I was funny, but I also tried very hard. I loved and still love getting all the attention.
When it came time to get my patriarchal blessing, I prayed daily for weeks about questions I had. Hoping these would be answered in my blessing. To my complete surprise, the blessing addressed nothing I asked.
I wanted to know what my talents were and I was told I would develop many.
Come on- that is the way I answer my kids- not the way I was supposed to be answered. What kind of God would answer his own child this way? Yeah, don't answer that.

I have since discovered that while some people are born with natural talents, that most of us have to actually work at something to make it our talent.
I now know that I have many talents and these are all ones that I created myself. I chose them and continue to work at having more. One of my greatest talents is being a mother. This is not something that every women can handle and it definitely takes some skill to master it. I have watched many a mom's make it look so easy. And while I would like to say that is my goal, the reality is, this is dang hard.

I have been reading a couple of different books lately. (and by reading I mean flip through them and read a paragraph at a time. ) Both are focused on the importance of Mothers and how in this world, the majority of us shrug our shoulders or sink in our chairs and quietly tell career oriented people that we "are just a mother" When actually, this is the greatest talent a women can posses and the most spiritual calling we can hold here on this earth. We are actually a big deal and just because our monetary worth is calculated and traded in hugs and kisses it doesn't mean we are less important in society or to the work force. In my home I am the Chief Operating Officer and that IS a big deal. It actually means something and I wear that title proudly. So with that said- I AM just a mother- and dang good at it! (most of the time) :)

" In every woman's story there are unknowns- struggles only she knows about, fears she's tried to overcome but still harbors, disappointments and sorrows she bears. The last thing any of us wants or needs-is to be judged by others who don't know our stories, in part or at all. "

Yesterday was the Relief Society Birthday celebration and while our ward may be small and ever changing because of the colleges here- it was great! So many awesome sisters all here in this great Iowa town all relying on each other to help them through each day. Each of us taking time to do service, make friends for life and even become a part of each others family. The family in Iowa. What a great organization we have in the church and what a blessing it is to move 2000 miles away from our comfort zones and be able to find one here.
Shout out to the sisters- you rock!! Thanks for caring. Thanks for sharing. And thanks for always laughing- even if it wasn't all that funny. I sure do like you guys and all that other sentimental stuff.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Thanks for the post. I needed it today. It was great to be around other women, the other night. They did a great job and I loved being there!
PS you are a great mom!

dancin' momma said...

I needed it too! Your talents are many and I try really hard to not be too envious! I loved what you said about not all of us being born with natural talent, but having to work for it. I never thought of it that way. You rock!

ucmama said...

Michelle likes this.

rychelle said...

I love the I am a mother book. I will have to read the Sis. Hinkley one. You are inspirational and thankyou for sharing the talents that you have worked so hard to develop!!