Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Inspired


I am going to confess something that I am honestly a little ashamed of. I don't discuss it because it embarrasses me. You can even stop reading this right now, I will understand, don't feel bad - I'm just venting. You can't say I didn't warn you.

I have to confess that I do not feel like an amazing mom or an intelligent person. I have been called both of these and they are most definitely a compliment, but to me I just don't see it or even feel as though I compare. I see myself as a homely housewife, struggling to find balance with her own appearance, her ability to be a really good mom and the house that is desired to be kept immaculate. I simply just am not and can not.
There, I said it out loud. No taking it back now.

I was married briefly to a high school boyfriend just one year after I graduated. I did not go to college because of this. I worked. The marriage was a learning experience for me and it ended just as quickly as it began. I grew a lot, but mainly spiritually, even though I didn't realize it then.

Fast forward to now. I feel as though not going on in my education has hindered who I am. I feel dumb when people speak intelligently with big words. I got street smarts and common sense and honestly thought that it would be enough for me. I now find myself desiring to go back to school.

I need to gain the self confidence to have an intelligent conversation with someone that does not include "knowing lines from Napoleon Dynamite" No offense to Napoleon or anyone who quotes lines, I just need to make better use of my time.

Recently, I was inspired by other mothers. I mean I am always inspired by other mothers, but for some reason, there are some really amazing mothers that live in this cold region of the states. Not only do they speak intelligently, but they have the housewife, crafty mama, organized and put together part down too.
It is a big desire for me to be that put together and still maintain a house that is organized, crafts for the littles and have an intelligent conversation. Sure we all have a little clutter with toys and books - but I don't let anyone go upstairs on purpose. I simply cannot maintain my house the way I used to when it was just the two of us, or even just us with two kids. I find myself feeling like I am drowning a little here. I have the desire, but never the time. So please don't touch the top of the bookshelve or look behind the tv. It's been a while since it was dusted.

I used to think that the weather was making me feel this way, but really - it may be that I sit in my house day after day and stare at the potential and think that if some motivation could just fall from the sky and land in my lap - I'll do it. So far no luck. There are days that I just want to pack it all up like we're moving just so I can start over, it seems so much easier. I also think that I just need to get out a little more. I get excited when my phone rings and its actually someone calling to talk to me and not a doctors office calling to remind me of an appointment.
I stare in the mirror every time I pass it and think of ways I can improve my look. It generally has a lot to do with the hair, cause it is the easiest fix - and then it gets me wishing I had the same body I had nine years ago. I don't even remember what it's like to be that skinny, and the cute clothes, don't even get me started on the clothes. I just might weep.

So without making anyone feel sorry for "that poor woman" I will stop my whining and just deal with it. I will continue to pretend that I know that the intelligent thing you just said totally made sense to me, and I will always apologize for my house and the toys that you just tripped over. This is my life right now and I will do my best to make it look easy to have this many kids, but deep down you'll know, I am really waiving a little white flag. There is no super mom here. Just an ordinary plain jane living the dream as a housewife. Who's inspired now? :)

9 comments:

kickenchica said...

I am! You inspire me, the devotion you give to your family, the lessons you teach, the love and amazing amount of patience you demonstrate. The ability to stand by one terrific guy, even on the days he is not so terrific, the two of you are an amazing team. I admire you, but you already knew that...and if you didn't here is a reminder of how much I look up to you, your strength, your spirituality, your knack for putting the right words everytime you blog or send an email. You have amazing gifts and talent...I cant sew, heck I cant even tie a normal bow...let alone the frilly fancy one's that you do, or know how to pick out the "just right" piece of furniture or artwork.
A person is measured so much more than by their vocabulary, or the degrees behind their belts. I honestly can say I could not do what you do, and you do it well I might add. Just keep the goal of your desires, soon your kids will be grown and you will need something to fill your time, where it was once constantly picking up a toy, or feeding a mouth or changing a diaper.
For me the grass seems greener on your side, the support, the family unity. We could change places for a week, there is nothing like your life, and the way you live it now, even if it isnt the fairytale side of things. I know you will be back on top when the time is right. And if it is possible, carve out some 'me' time... go to the gym, even if you dont work out, go to the book store to look, even if you dont read. You have to find a spot that is just you and you might discover that the way things are is the best you! I love you girl!

rychelle said...

My mom told me no one can judge the type of housekeeper one is while they have young children. I was thankful my mother said this because she is the anal type that has a perfect home. I do feel I have taken that to the extreme...but you are great and the desire is the best part!!

ucmama said...

I only have the creative part down, so I know you're not talking about me! And a bishop told me one time that I was raising children, not a house. They would remember having a mom who played with them, helped them and loved them, not whether or not you had furry fan blades or dusty bookshelves.

And your word verification is prigne. I can't think of anything funny to go with it, I just thought you might like to know.

sarah said...

There are no super moms. Just ordinary people doing the best they can. If you happen to know a "super mom", I'm betting she doesn't know it and/or is so Christ-like that she thinks you are too- that's what I'm banking on :)

Big Fat Gini said...

A clean house is a sign of a life not lived. Or something like that...

I don't think you give yourself enough credit. You're doing the same thing housewives all over this country do, and have been doing for ages...raising your children, loving your children, and dedicating your life to the service and needs of others. There's nothing wrong with that. I've known you for only a short time, and I think that you're incredible gifted and graceful.

dancin' momma said...

You inspire me. I feel like I am barely staying afloat with two kids, and I look at people like you, or my my mom who raised seven and see that you are surviving. You crack me up, and I think you are so super creative!

Adolescent Family said...

As my mom has told me...There is a time and a season for everything. And this season is all about the kids. Yes its not fun (or clean) all the time, but it will always be there waiting for you when you are ready. Make the most of everyday! We wont let them put it on your headstone that your house wasn't clean. Just that you were a great wife who raised great kids. As far as intelligence goes, everyday there is something new to learn, and experience is one of the greatest lessons. I have a sister-in-law who put on her resume before getting a job that she 'runs a household', 'personal chef', in charge of lots of activities for young and old. She got the job she wanted :)

Just own your life and feel good in your skin and no one will be the wiser! promise :) We all have these times in our life.

Anonymous said...

First of all, this post is SO WELL WRITTEN. I think you may speak for so many, which is an incredible talent in an of itself.

I'm glad I didn't read this until today because I just saw you last night, and I may not think that my thoughts when I saw you were genuine or completely spontaneous. As I sat across from you, you know, when we were dating, these were some of my thoughts.

She is incredibly easy to talk to.
She always makes me feel so good when I see her---like I'm someone special.
She is so pretty, it must be the hair (just kidding on the last part.)r
And there was a tinge of jealousy that you look so great with an 8 month old baby on your lap. I wish I looked that great.

These were all completely my own thoughts, unevoked by this post.

And then I read this post. And I realize how very alike all of us are, underneath.

The last time I tried to do a craft, Avee used the glue as lipstick and Danyo ate the paper. It's beyond me.

The last time my house was clean was...
in 03 before Bo was born.

The last time I felt pretty was probably my wedding day. :)

But I have hope. I have hope that one day my kids will stop eating paper and wearing art supplies. I have hope that my house will be cleaned, and kept clean, without any nagging, threatening, or general throwing of things. I will be skinny again.

But none of it now. It's one thing at a time, and my job right now is to cultivate my relationship with my husband, and cherish and nurture my children. I think I do both of those really well, and I think you do too.

I know this wasn't a pity party, asking for compliments, but they're nice, right? I think we get so caught up in our own woes and feeling like frumpy ignoramouses, we forget that we probably aren't alone and that we can help others not feel that way.

I had some other smart things I wanted to say, but I forgot them. Plus, Avee kicked me in the hip because I wouldn't hold her while I'm typing and it hurts real bad.

Becky said...

Thank you for your honest (though not totally accurate) and heartfelt post. I honestly believe one of Satans greatest tools is doubt. We feel like we aren't as good at the things everyone else is! Try to remember what it says in the scriptures, "...to every man is given a gift... to some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby."
You are an amazing and beautiful woman, who I am happy to call my friend!
Keep learning all you can! There is nothing wrong with learning more each day!