Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I didn't ask


I didn't ask to be the mother of a little boy that struggles to find self confidence, that uses poor judgement, or that doesn't know why others call him a retard. I didn't ask to have a little boy that would need his parents to have a close relationship with his teachers or principal.

I didn't ask to have a little boy that would see the world differently than the rest of us.

I didn't ask to be the mother of a child that struggles each day with the little things, like getting dressed or making friends.

Before I had children I used to look at mothers with their children and judge their parenting styles and watch their out of control children and tantrums.

I had always envisioned the perfect child that would sit in church on Sunday, in his Sunday best, was reverent, whispered and sat still. I envisioned the child that would wear anything I put him in and eat anything I gave him to eat. I always thought my son would be well behaved and calm.

This wasn't my plan as a mother. Heavenly Father thought I must be good enough to have such a child of trial.

What I didn't know at the time, was that he really sent me the little boy, that would make me a better mother. The little boy that would make sure I wasn't selfish, that I understood what a blessing it is to be a mother.

I don't see the little boy with struggles very much, I still have days, but I have learned to see the little boy that has the biggest heart, the greatest smile, the most unbelievable skill of making you feel better, and is almost always thinking of others first.

This little boy is my son. He has been diagnosed with Aspergers slash PDD slash ADHD slash ODD, but I rarely see that little boy.

I only see the little boy that wants to be hugged, praised and loved. I only see the big brother that yearns to play with his sister or brother or hold his baby sister. I only see the son that loves to help vacuum and beat his dad at a game of UNO. The child that is amazing at math and enjoys hearing about history. The little boy that has an amazing ability to tell you anything you want to know about Star Wars. The little boy that secretly loves to be hugged and kissed as long as no one else is looking. The little boy that loves to hear you read a good book.

My son is a child of God and is loved more than anyone may ever know. I know this, because I do. I love my son, and even though I never asked for the little boy that has so many obstacles to overcome, I wouldn't change a thing.

I am a better mother because of him. I learn something new everyday, because of him. I am someone special, because of him.

8 comments:

sarah said...

He is a great kid. You are a great mom! Don't ever forget that.

dancin' momma said...

You're an awesome mama, and he's is such a cute kid!

Anonymous said...

You are.
And this is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I was dropping Chandler off at school the other day, and as I left the building, it dawned on me for the very first time.

I have a special needs child.

I have had the opportunity through my job to work with the QC Autism society and we are building a very large program for next year that will raise a lot of money to help the 3,000 Quad City area youth who suffer from Autism.

The one thing that struck me as an amazing statistic, is that 95% of couples who have an autistic child- no matter where they are on the spectrum - get divorced.

That is something that has never, ever, been a consideration. Chandler and his unique challenges have brought us closer together, and we have resolved to learn as much as we can about this and work with him to ensure that he has a meaningful life.

Chandler is one of the most special kids that I know. He has a great sense of humor, he enjoys playing video games with me, going to sporting events and all things "Dad". He teaches me so much, and I will forever be in his debt because of it. But more than that - he loves his sisters and his brother and that comes through every day, and it's truly amazing to watch.

I can't even begin to describe what a fantastic wife and mother Melinda is - and trying to do so in this forum would do her a tremendous disservice. I could not have a better partner to go through life with, and we are truly blessed to have the children that we have - and their challenges.

Thank you for writing this Melinda. Through all of the challenges that life has brought us, you have never wavered, not one time, and our children will become better people because they have you as a mother.

rychelle said...

I really like that boy of yours too. He is hilarious.

The Eagars said...

That was so sweet. Made me cry. You are amazing, I am so glad you wrote that. You inspire me to be a better mom

ucmama said...

I think he's a pretty great kid, and when I was Secretary in Primary, I would color with him in the back of the room when he'd had too much of sitting still. Heavenly Father must have thought you were pretty special to be a ward for one of his choice spirits.

thehalvs said...

You two are great. Thanks for your beautiful thoughts.