Sunday, November 2, 2008

On my Soap Box

So for the first time in a couple of years I stood before the sisters in RS and bore my testimony. This is a hard thing for me to do because I am easily moved and usually become blubbery and emotional so I limit these occasions to rarely. If you are so lucky to sit in on one of my emotional bursts of ramblings, consider yourself lucky.
Today's lesson in RS was about visiting teaching and the story of Esther. first of all, I am probably the last person you should bring up the subject of visiting teaching to since it is my calling as coordinator but also because I have a strong testimony in it. (probably the reason it is my calling)
However, I had toyed with the idea of not coming to church today. Last night at 8:16pm my phone rang. It was the RS President and she was asking me to review an entire chapter in Esther and then summarize it in one minute during RS. I of course agreed, and then my kids went buzzerk right before bed and I began stressing over this one minute.
Finally at about 10 when all the kids were finally asleep and not pulling at me, I pulled out my scriptures and began to read.
This wasn't going to work. Not in tune to understand what I was reading.
The last time I probably read Esther chapter 4 was twelve years ago in seminary, and at 5 in the morning, I was honestly probably sleeping.

So, in order to understand the chapter it became necessary for me to read the first 3. I of course was then intrigued and could not stop at the end of chapter 4, I had to find out what was going to happen.
I then double checked my interpretation with a summary of this chapter online. Finally at 1 am I laid down to go to bed. K was up promptly at 7 this morning when C reminded me that it was really only 6 because we forgot to turn back the clocks.

RS went great. The lesson was done well in my opinion. The story of Esther is great. If it has been a while since you have read it, I recommend it.

Overall today has been a good day. C and I spent some time on the couch watching Iron Man (good movie). Then as S asked me to change his diaper we became very aware that there was just one left. This was not going to take us through until Monday so now it became necessary to go to the store on a Sunday. I would like to say that I felt guilty but honestly the break from the kids was nice. The weather is enjoyable and I opened the sunroof and enjoyed some music a little louder than normal. Sucking in all of the fall smells this was a great 15 minute break. On my way out of the store with my package of diapers I notice a car on the other side of the cart return. Their hood was open and some jumper cables lying on the concrete. Inside of the car was a fussy toddler and what appeared to be a tired and frustrated mommy. Standing outside was a gentlemen just looking around. I was unsure if they were waiting for someone specifically or if they were looking for anyone to help them. I pondered this while putting my bag in the back seat. I looked over one more time and decided to ask if they needed a jump. The young guy looked shocked at first and then asked if I would be willing to pull around. The jump started their car right up and they were very appreciative.
I know that this seems so unimportant, but after enjoying myself on the way to the store I realized that in order to enjoy days like this more we also need to be more Christ like. Now of course Christ would not have been at the grocery store on a Sunday, but Christ also did not have a need for disposable diapers for a 2 year old. However, Christ would have stopped to help the young family that was waiting for anyone to notice. I feel as though my sin of buying something on a Sunday was given a chance for immediate redemption because of a simple act. I of course did not offer help looking for the redemption, this was an after thought. But it did make me feel good inside having done something nice for someone else. Someone I didn't even know.

"it's a great day to be alive
I know the sun's still shinin when I close my eyes
There's some hard times in the neighborhood
But why can't every day be just this good?"
Travis Tritt

No comments: