Saturday, September 6, 2008

Having the Faith

ITS A LONG ONE... Sorry.

“This is my prayer for all of us—'Lord, increase our faith.' Increase our faith to bridge the chasms of uncertainty and doubt. . . . Grant us faith to look beyond the problems of the moment to the miracles of the future. . . . Give us faith to do what is right and let the consequence follow.”
( “Lord, Increase Our Faith,” Ensign, Nov. 1987, 52–53.)

I often learn life's best lessons through trials. I think that Heavenly Father understood this about me and so has presented me with my fair share. I want to set the record straight that I have learned my lesson and if you are listening - I don't need anymore.

If only it were that easy.

I was going through some old photo's and was reminded of an incident that really helped push me to be the person I am. Several Faith requiring incidents all at once. I didn't feel super phased about it then, but looking back - I get emotional.

I share this with you because we all have our moments. We are all tempted with the "That would just be easier" choice in life, but often times it is the " That is much harder, and I really don't want to do that" choice that we must make.

Just this last week, we received a phone call that to most people would have caused alarm, but if you knew what we went through while waiting for the phone call, then you would agree.
You see, the phone call was from Cory's doctor. He had had a series of tests done and it could be one of three things. The First was the West Nile Virus - doesn't sound great - but to us, would have been acceptable. The second was for Adult Mono - still a bad thing, but MUCH better than the third option - Cancer.
Cory had one confirmed form of Cancer before and the second time - while they were trying to confirm it, Cory had received the most AWESOME blessing from our bishop that healed his body. Suddenly the large spots on his liver were gone. So for us, it was almost like - this could be it. This could be the big one. I can't even imagine the torment that Cory felt while waiting for the results. He has expressed it to be like your life flashing before your eyes, not sure what lies ahead - Scary.
So when the doctor called the house - I gave her Cory's number, please call him. Cory called me within minutes - Whew! It was adult mono. Still a difficult thing to go through, but obviously better than the alternative. I believe that Cory even thanked the doctor - weird for most I am sure.

So this story brings me to my reason for this post. Why was it so necessary for us to have the faith? What really lies in store for us?

I remember back on January 2nd, 2004. Alyssa was just 3 months old and Chandler was 2. The winter in Oregon had reeked some havoc in the Portland area and had caused many people to stay home because we couldn't get anywhere. Finally on the 2nd of January - it was the first day that seemed like things were starting to clear up. I knew that I NEEDED to get to work, so I had made the decision to pack the kids up for Daycare and go to work. The daycare that I took the kids to was a private residence daycare and some of her rules were that we just left our diaper bags at home and kept a supply of diapers, food, bottles, extra clothes etc.. at her house.
But that morning, I felt as though I needed to dress the kids warmer and to pack a diaper bag. I wasn't really sure why I was doing this, but I did.
On my way to drop off the kids (I was probably half way in between my house and my destination.) I was driving up a hill on some back country roads. On the way back down - I hit a large patch of Black Ice. We instantly began to spin - I had lost control. I remember saying, No, No, No, No and then BAM! front end of the car hit the ditch - but the speed from the hill and the lack of control the car bounced us back out of the ditch and spun one more time until we landed at the end of the ditch where the drain was at, but this time with the back end in the ditch. I was inches from a mail box and feet from a corner. This was a dangerous place to be - I searched for my cell phone (now somewhere on the floorboard) I grabbed my phone and dialed Cory. He was going to go in late to work that day so he was still at home. " I totaled the car" was all I could get out. Alyssa now crying in the back seat I tried to give him directions to get to me. I was met with a knock on my window. A gentleman from across the street had been out shoveling his driveway when he heard the crash. I got out of the car and unbuckled Alyssa from her car seat and handed her to this stranger. I then went to go to the other side and get Chandler out when I discovered that it would be impossible. The ditch was probably 4 or 5 feet deep and my back wheels had been folded under like the Delorian on Back to the Future 2. After getting Chandler out of the car - the gentleman had told me to go to his house and get out of the cold. I called my sister to she if she could help me out. She lived across the river, but worked only minutes away.
She arrived before Cory and took the kids. This was all possible because I had listened to what I thought was just me over thinking the day (but more likely the holy ghost) telling me to pack the kids the things they would need. I called a Tow truck and by the time Cory arrived - I was in pain. I have never had such a pain in my back before.
Needless to say, I went home and laid on the couch the rest of the day. Alyssa had also been fussy - I didn't go to the doctor, nor did I take Alyssa to the doctor, but I went to my parents house the next day and received a blessing. Alyssa also received a priesthood blessing from my brothers and I will never forget it.
Alyssa was diagnosed with Hip Dysplacea when she was born. From the time she was just days old she was placed in a pavlic harness to help her hip bones develop. All of our visits we did see some improvement, but nothing significant. The Orthopaedic surgeon was talking about the possibility of putting her in a full body cast and then surgery to correct this if this didn't start to show better improvements.
Alyssa's blessing blessed her that her body would be healed and that she would be made whole. I heard this, but assumed that it meant the whiplash that her little body had suffered.
The next day while at her OS doctors office, he x-rayed her because of the accident and was shocked. We were able to remove her little blue harness. Her hips were just fine. He would want to review this again in one year just to make sure, but she wouldn't need this anymore.

Wow! what an awesome miracle. A blessing of healing goes beyond words. So was the accident an on purpose so that we would realize that what she really needed was a Priesthood blessing and some faith? I don't ever want to go through that again, but then I ask, what is the lesson we need to learn from all these and those of our scares with Cory's health? - I could seriously write a book with all of the stories of faith I have experienced, but why do I need so many? Not that I'm complaining, but a few years of nothing would be nice.

Anyway - I guess if I was better in tune, I wouldn't need such a huge hit on the head to get the picture - so a little Faith, can go a long way. I now feel more blessed knowing that the priesthood holds some very cool things if we use the tools that are provided to us. And how important it is that we as parents have the faith that a blessing will work. I know that this won't always be the case, but how lucky we are to have it at all.


who knew, that $11,000 could look like this?

Did I mention, that I only bought the car - 3 months earlier?

Ok, so maybe not totaled - but you weren't there :)

I posted these pictures - cause Cory's biggest pet peeve is when people stare and slow down traffic to look at an accident -now you don't have to.

2 comments:

Lisbun said...

Sis, Thanks for the birthday note.

Awsome speech on faith! Are you speaking in church or something? I knew most of the stories but didn't know about Alyssa's healing...I just knew she didn't need the harness anymore. Boy she hated that thing.

I like how we take turns feeding each others spirits with Testimony.

I must admit Sis, that our whole family has been spared on multiple occasions. I am certain the Wise clan holds a special place and role in the Lord's second coming. I think that's why we are tested so hard and why we keep proving our faith.

Blessings,
Lisa

Adrienne said...

Happy Birthday Melinda! Also, I am so happy to hear that Cory will be ok. Sorry I don't comment to often. I hope you are all well.