1 week ago
Thursday, September 18, 2008
addicted
What you are about to read has not been identified as an addiction by any government agency and is not federally funded. It is just for general humor and filling time that I might otherwise spend on my addiction. :)
I believe that addiction for most people is usually a damaging and destructive thing. When we think of addiction, we generally think of alcohol, drugs and gambling.
I am going to share with you another kind of addiction I have
(not that I have any of the others)
This one is not destructive and does not affect my family, but is challenging because it does cost money and I generally soothe myself with it when I am feeling a little more lonely or down. My addiction brings me immediate satisfaction. I have personally never partaken of my addiction if we cannot afford it and in most cases it has actually been beneficial. There is the occasional over the top - but generally I buy with intent or a great sale and rarely is it impulse.
However, my addiction does bring with it the need to get it all or go home. Then of course there is the need to make things or buy additional things that match and make it even cuter.
Signs of a Shopping Addiction can be:
1. you pay your bill using cash and your bank account and only report the number from the bank account to your spouse.
2. you day dream of buying the one thing you couldn't buy the last time you were there
3. you have an open cart on the internet at all of your favorite places that you love to shop and you change the items in the cart often.
4. you frequent your favorite places and lust over the new items even if you cannot afford it
5. you own more bags from your favorite place than you do own plastic bags from the grocery store
6. you look for things around your house to sell on ebay so that you can have money to spend
7. your car knows where you are going before you even get there.
8. you frequent more often when their are additional perks or sales being offered that require you to return and spend even more money.
9. your children will also grow a love for this place and ask your spouse if they can go there
10. the clerks at the store, know you by name and know your kids names and sizes.
How to avoid your addiction:
1. turn off the internet
2. take away all money/ bank cards
3. say no
4. pretend you are broke even if you are not - and if you are then not a problem
5. throw away all mail from your favorite place and do not retrieve it from the garbage can
6. turn on music during the day to divert your attention
7. call a friend and invite them over for a play date (this will help the need to fill any empty time)
8. make a grocery list and only buy the items on your list (this will train you to have self control)
9. pretend your bank account does not exist
10. avoid the location of your addiction - drive around it as not to drive by it
Now that we have gotten this out of the way, I will have to tell you that it is easier to write this down than to actually do it. Someone should actually create a shoppers anonymous and have weekly meetings for the weak and the tempted.
I of course could be the leader.
Of the weak and the tempted that is.
Anyway, Good luck, and if you happen to see me at G*mboree - kindly tell me to GET OUT! and then call my husband and tell on me. :)
I do have to say that I do have rules.
I do not spend more than $20 ish on any ONE outfit.
I resell the items once my children have outgrown them OR one year, whatever is soonest
and
I treat this as an investment and take great care in all items for a higher resell value.
Signed,
Addicted in IOWA and every other place I've lived that has had one of these
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment