So Aly and Chandler have been in school for almost two weeks now and Alyssa is just a little star. She wakes up every morning and can't wait to get dressed. After having 3 years of just Chandler going to school and always giving us grief each and every morning about getting dressed, then not wanting to go and having so many issues at school. Alyssa is a nice break from all of the stuff we had to and still have to go through each morning with him.
Cory will call me each day after I pick the kids up from school and he asks how their day went and it is so refreshing to say the word Great!
Alyssa tells us everything she did - even the littlest things. We both LOVE that she Loves school. I knew that even though she was just turning 5 - that she is so ready for this. I am so glad that Iowa has all day Kindergarten, it is perfect for her! She does everything that she is asked and follows directions everyday. Although she did have one incident where her teacher placed her on "yellow" because she was talking when she shouldn't have been - Alyssa told me as soon as she saw me and then followed it up with, I'm never going to do that again.
I really hope that this desire to do well sticks with her. She is just such a good kid and it is so nice and refreshing to get a break in the going to school part of our day.
Chandler seems to be doing better this year also. I believe that there are several contributors to this. The first being that McKinley Elementary is now a part of his routine and his system. It is finally a familiar place. The second is his Awesome Teacher. I couldn't have asked for a better teacher. She must have known enough about him and his needs before we started, because his desk is in the front of the class and he has a corner desk with space in the middle. He is not entirely away from other children, but enough so that he has his own space. His locker is the closest to the classroom door and is only touching one other locker. These two things make a world of difference in his world. Not to mention that I have never not seen his teacher smiling. Other Teachers and parents say, that is just how she teaches. While she has rules and the kids are expected to follow them, She does it in a way that the children listen and obey and still like her. Chandler's first kindergarten teacher in Washington was this way and we never had a problem with him at all.
The main issue with Chandler now is helping him overcome his issues with crowds. This is where he has been having his meltdowns. He cannot handle groups of kids or people for that matter and lining up at the door each morning is made into a big deal because his sensors go off and he doesn't know what to do. Cory has currently taken on the task of the morning routine and hopefully we can come to a quick remedy that will work for Chandler. So far just having Daddy there to help is perfect!
Now that I am starting to get used to my days with just the 2 babies, I was thrown off on Labor Day when the two older kids were home. It felt like a Saturday to me. Cory was just joking with me the other day when he said that I'm going to learn to hate the summer months now, and I'm sure there might be some truth to that - but this last summer went by fast - so I'm sure I'll live.
Cory is now done with Baseball games, but still obviously has to go to work. I have to admit that it has been nice having him home for dinner every night. I've gotten so used to just cooking kid foods for dinner that I'm having to look up recipes again online - FINALLY, something good!
We were talking just last night that even though this season seemed long for us, it is actually because he has been in a season with one team or the other for about 18 months now without a break. No wonder we are exhausted. We plan to enjoy now until February - Believe you Me!





No comments:
Post a Comment