I feel like a guest contributor to this blog now. M has done a fantastic job of keeping this updated and informing our family of how we are doing 2,000 miles away.
But, I did not come to write today to share with all of you what a great job M is doing keeping pictures of our children in front of the world.
I was sitting in my office last week when my boss informed me that he would be officiating a high school football game that night at a stadium close to our house. After our conversation concluded, I picked up the phone and called M and asked her if it would be OK with her if I took Chan to the game that night. She agreed, so when he got out of school I called him and told him that we would be doing this - he was excited.
When we got to the stadium and found our seats (after buying some candy and soda, of course), I sat back and took the time to look around. This was strangely familiar, but I had never been there.
Then I started to think about a day - when I was about 11 - that I was in downtown Renton with my Father (he needed to pick up something for his motorcycle, and we went to our favorite motorcycle shop in Renton) . We drove past a football stadium where there was a soccer game being played, he stopped and we went in, got some soda and candy and sat and watched the game. I remember it was a high school game, but that didn't matter to me, any soccer was great. But more than that, it was an afternoon with my Dad, doing something that he didn't have to do, with a very appreciative son.
Then I started to think about all of the other times that I got to spend with him like that. One Saturday morning he woke me up, told me to get ready and get in the car, because he had a surprise for me. We drove to downtown Seattle and parked the car - when we got out, dad went to the trunk and pulled out my baseball glove - he was taking me to my first ever Mariners game, it was against the Oakland Athletics and there was only about 2,500 people in the Kingdome that day. I can still smell the hot dogs and the peanuts.
There were countless others. Motorcycle trips (he even made a camping trip longer by stopping at a campground about an hour from our house, saying he was too tired to keep going - at 1:00 in the afternoon), camping excursions, soccer game after soccer game - and even 4:00 AM wake up calls on Saturday mornings so I could make it to my own indoor soccer games.
As I reflect on all the times I spent with my father - too many to name here - I realize that he was teaching me important life lessons along the way. My Father taught me how to be a Dad, and there was no better person to learn from. He taught me valuable life lessons about parenting, spending time with my children and doing things that are special and memorable for them.
My job is demanding, and takes a lot of time away from my family during the times that they are home the most - the Summer. I hope, however, that I am half of the father my dad was to me. If that's the case, then my children will look back on these years with fond memories of spending time with dad, doing the things that they love to do. No matter how much success I have at work (another lesson my dad taught me - go to work, every day - there is no sick time), it will never compare to success at home. Without a doubt I would not be anywhere close to having success at home if it wasn't for the example of my father.
When did I become my Father? I am not sure I am at his pitch yet - but hope to be very soon.
I love you Dad.
1 week ago





2 comments:
Its so good to hear and see when Dad's are at their finest. There is something to be said for that father/son & father/daughter bond. I love just being with my dad and soak up every word he says.
Loved reading your story! :)
Cory-
You are a great father. Thanks for sharing with us...
Joe
Post a Comment