Monday, March 9, 2009

Time change and night terrors

I get that it is necessary to have day light savings time, it works for the most part and it serves a purpose, but it really messes with us for like a whole week. Who ever thought of this obviously didn't have kids. Or husbands that think the time change joke is still funny. (it feels like it's really 9 o'clock. this is said when the clock reads 8)

You would think that our biggest challenge would be with Chan - but honestly he makes these changes probably the smoothest out of all of us. It's not like you can tell your 10 month old about daylight savings time and have them understand that you are all losing an hour of sleep and if she could just go to bed an hour earlier and still sleep in a little that it would be greatly appreciated. Noosh is also not old enough to get this and came calling at 4am, or is it 5?

KD had her first night terror last night. Actually, I think she is the first child we've had that has had one, or it's just been so long that it feels that way.
Either way, I do know that we have never had a baby this little have a night terror. I was VERY close to taking her to the emergency room because they are so very close to what I would imagine a seizure would be like. It's heartbreaking and helpless feeling in one fell swoop. I immediately knew something was wrong when she let out a blood curdling scream. This was not a cry I had ever heard before, she sounded as though she was in pain. I tried to comfort her and could not, it was the most difficult thing you can do. We tried to wake her without scaring her. She was not waking and she seemed like she was convulsing a little. We stripped her out of her jammie's to help her wake up, it didn't work right away, but I think it was the best way, we took turns holding her and cradling her. I decided to nurse her to help her realize she was safe and everything was going to be okay. After about 5 minutes (felt like eternity) she calmed down and began to fall back into a restful sleep. I held her for the next hour, all the while second guessing my decisions on how C and I handled it.

After putting her back to bed I researched briefly on the Internet. I was relieved that indeed it appeared as though she had had a night terror. It was even more comforting to read that most parents DO mistake these for mini seizures. I wanted to make sure that we hit all the symptoms as I do not think I could let myself sleep comfortably if I thought in the back of my mind that it was something more serious like a seizure.

She slept okay the rest of the night and woke this morning in a great mood as usual. Night terrors are thought to be brought on by lack of sleep, so I will be making sure she gets plenty today. Good thing we lost an hour yesterday!

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Yes, we have had nights like this. Madi so far has been our only child to have night terrors. One time we were in Utah at a camp ground. A very busy one. We were in a tent and she started screaming in the middle of the night. It was horrible. After what seemed like forever I took her into the car to muffle the sounds. A short time later she settled down. It is very eerie to see them sleeping, eyes closed and all and screaming at the top of their lungs.

jm said...

Poor sweetie. I'm glad she was able to fall back to sleep and wake up happy. I've never heard of night terrors but I'm really glad you posted this cause now I know. Oh yeah and the time change does suck when you have kids and schedules.