Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A day spent in prayer

It's 6 am and the children are still sleeping. He gently kisses their foreheads and says good bye. He quietly takes their little bum bums and sticks them in his pockets. He has to come home if he has taken their bum bums- a great little game they play. He wakes me and he's off.

To the hospital this morning. The doctor has been performing a lot of tests. Not sure what it is, but something is just not right. He hasn't been feeling good for a while and it seems to be more than a cold or the flu, but secretly we wish that it is nothing more.
He arrives at the hospital and sends me a text. He is letting me know where to go once I arrive. I await for a very generous friend to come and watch our children today and she does so even while her's are home sick. What a blessing she is. A peace of mind knowing the children are in good hands.

He is set up in a room that he is sharing with another heart patient. The EKG tech is in the room wrapping up the last minute details before they will begin. Nothing was eaten since the night before and breakfast is beginning to sound really good.
A lot of cooing and gawking over the baby, she really is cute and yes that is an adorable smile, but if you keep talking to her like she's in a cartoon she just might spit up on you. On purpose.
The nurses are all so very nice, either they are not tired of him yet, or they are very dedicated and really do LOVE their jobs.
He is so much younger than most of their other patients, they call him a Cath Lab virgin. He's just a baby. Everyone wishes him luck.

He's first in line, but gets pushed back an hour for an inpatient. We visit awhile and then it's time. We gently squeeze hands and say our see ya laters.
I head to the cafeteria for something to eat. Yum, donuts and a banana. Why is it that hospitals sell food that ends you right up in their care? You know they don't offer this to patients, and yet I still purchase it. No debit cards accepted so I go to the ATM. It is out of our network, so this simple withdraw costs me $4 more than I was asking for. Breakfast was $2.24. I should have waited, I should have just eaten the granola bar I packed in the diaper bag.

I head back to the waiting rooms, there are two to choose from, both are pretty full. I pick the one with another kid in there. There are a lot of older people, probably okay with babies, but probably did not want to hear one today. Today they also wait, but most of them are here for loved ones in more serious heart surgeries.

It's not long and they call me out of the waiting room and into a consultation room. The doctor will be right in.
The surgery went well, his heart is clear. no blockages, very clean in fact. We are pleased with what we see.
What could be causing his pressure he is feeling then? Probably some digestive issues, we now are scheduled to have an endoscopy done to get a better view.

The drugs are awesome. He is being very sarcastic and funny. I now know why the nurses love their job so much, it is hilarious to work with them. He asks them how it went about 20 times, his eyes still shut, he responds to every question they ask.
The nurses tell him what a beautiful baby he has, and he proceeds to tell them that he knows, he made her himself. He's funny and he's not even trying.
The baby is tired. It is past her morning nap now. We are going to leave. He ushers me close to him. He reaches out both of his hands and gives me something invisible. He oh so lovingly says, that one is our sons, and this one is our daughters. I smile in complete love and kiss his hand. Sleep babe, I'll be back for you later.

This is our Tuesday, a day we had been praying a lot about. Please let it go well. Be with the doctors hands and guide them. Let our family be blessed today and let thy will be done, and please be generous with thy will.

1 comment:

ucmama said...

sending prayers y'all's way