Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Today is the day

I am again sitting in my hotel room in Miam, waiting for the shuttle that will take me to the airport to begin my journey home.

I will be on the plane with the judge hands down her decision in the Sonics case. Physically, I could not be further away from the disaster that is happening in Seattle today. My heart however is heavy, as I think of my former co-workers and the decision today that will impact the rest of their lives.

I had my dream job with the Sonics, working for and with great people whom I respect. I hope that at the end of the day, everyone ends up OK, and that the judge makes a decision based on what is in the best interest of both parties, but considers the 125 people who go to work in that downtown office building each day, marching on in spite of what everyone in the city thinks, feels and tells them.

It was hard being a Sonics employee at the end of my tenure there. Nobody believed we would get an arena deal done except those 125 people, of which I was one. We were wrong, and today the decision is made.

I am thinking about all of you today. I am, and always will be a Sonics fan. I will always remember the first game my Father took me to as a kid, and the games in the early 90's, when the team was competiting for a title. I remember sitting in my car at the end of a lot of games listening to Kevin on the radio, counting down the seconds to another Sonics win. So what if they ran into the Bulls in the finals - so did five other teams, and the results were all the same.

Thank you Sonics for 41 great years. I hope the NBA makes the decision to return to Seattle someday - a First Class City.

No comments: