Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Pre-Valentines Day Tribute To My Wife

This used to be my blog. Melinda asked me eight months ago if I would mind if she published a post. I of course said there would be no issue with that – and then it became her blog. I don’t mind, and from time to time I would like to contribute to our family story.

I don’t need a calendar to tell me when to Love my wife, take her to dinner or buy her candy. I don’t need hallmark to write words on a card to express my feelings for her when I am quite capable of doing that myself.

What I do know is this weekend is Valentines Day, and our plans are to spend it at home, on the couch watching a movie with our family. Some people would think that is boring or dumb. I wouldn’t have it any other way, or with anyone else.

My wife just gets me.

These past eight years have brought so much joy and four beautiful children. Melinda has stayed with me during some of the most difficult times of my life, was by my side the day I had surgery to remove cancer, and even stood by me when I made the decision to move our family half way across the country to a small Iowa town.

She raises our children, sometimes by herself and they are a loving reflection of her. She Loves the Lord and brings the spirit into our home with all that she does. She is a great example to our daughters of how to Mother, and be a wife.

It is hard to describe the person that you will spend eternity with. Finding that person is the most difficult challenge that we all face as human beings. Mine came easy, Melinda simply walked through the doors of my office ten years ago,an event that changed my life forever.

She brought with her an incredible family, brothers and sisters who in their own right have amazing attributes that we sincerely miss being around. A Mother and Father that were fantastic examples of a great marriage.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention her Dad, who passed away three years ago next Tuesday. I see a lot of him in her, which is the highest compliment I could give. He was a tremendous man of faith, who loved his family first and worked hard to provide for them. Our children talk about him often – even Spencer, who was born just months after he passed. He talks to the stars and knows that Grandpa is there watching him. It’s humbling.

On this day – a couple days before V-day, I pay tribute to the woman who cleans our house, changes diapers, picks the kids up from school, reminds us to hold family home evening, makes sure Aly and Kady have bows and that they both match, and get’s the family ready for church every Sunday. But more than all of that, she makes our house a home, and brings the most amazing love here. I have no words to describe it, and unless you experience it you won't understand. I wish you my kind of happiness, I never knew what it was like to be truly happy before I met Melinda, she changed my life forever.

She is the best mother I have ever seen and the most incredible wife. My only regret is that I didn’t meet her earlier so we could have spent more time together. Eternity is not long enough.

I love you.

4 comments:

kickenchica said...

that was absolutely beautiful and I know that just came out so well and easy for you. you and mel have something amazing, the two of you flow together.... we all know it was just meant to be. thanks for sharing this and for letting me be reminded why I am so super jealous of my sister. You rock!

M.Howerton said...

You can imagine my surprise this morning as I stumbled upon something on well, dare I say My blog -but it was a nice surprise and this is yet another reason I love my husband - so supportive and loving. He's perfect - I cannot wait to spend the weekend in our sweats, chilling on the couch with popcorn and the kiddos. Thank you babe! To the moon!

sarah said...

This is all true. You are great Melinda. An amazing person.

rychelle said...

I think your wife is pretty great!!

ANd the bows...