Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Uber Awesomeness


If you ever have the privilege of visiting our small town in Iowa there is one thing you will notice in an instance.

It appears as though Pontiac has thrown up here.

Oldsmobile, Chevy and Ford are not too far behind, but honestly I cannot think of one time when I have left the house that I was not driving behind; along side of; or in front of a Pontiac.
A Grand Am, A Grand Prix - it does not matter. They all still exist and they all reside in our small town.
It is a rare occasion to see one that is NOT silver, this must have been the deal Pontiac got on paint at their local Costco.
Once in a while I will see one that is trying to be unique and it will be rust free and have some perty wheels or somethin, but really they are all the same.

Why do I know so much?

I am, in a geeky, yet very talented way - secretly cool about my knowledge of each make and model of every car ever made.


I remember one time when I was younger, my twin sister and I were standing outside a clothing store waiting for our parents to pick us up. It was dark out, so every car had their lights on. We played a little game of guess that car as we waited and looked for our parents to arrive. We guessed every car right.
It was then and there that I began to hone my skills, and by skills I mean like Napoleon Dynamite and hunting for wolverines type skills.

Worthless

and yet I still find myself doing it today. As A grown women. In my Thirties. And somehow this is ok.

You can either laugh, or go for a ride with me at night and I'll show you how cool I really am.

I have never had to put my skills to a true test. I have never saved a life by knowing the make and model of a car, or using my cool ability of identifying it just by seeing the headlights.

The police have never called for my professional assistance. Although the one time I was watching Cops, the nice Police man involved in a pursuit, totally called in the wrong make and model of the car he was chasing - I would have been of great assistance - I assure you of that!

Several years ago, while visiting my aunt in Utah my Dad put me on the spot and shared with my relatives how "talented" I was at this. I was hesitant at first. I was not prepared to show my secret talent on the spot like that.
My aunt began doubting that I was truly gifted. I knew then that I had to show her I was able. I made my dad proud as I whipped the name of every car that would pass us on the opposite side of the freeway. My aunt with her mouth dropped open was amazed. Although looking back, she was probably wondering why I wasted my time on something so un-useful.

I think that I could possibly be good at this because I used to play with Matchbox cars as a child. And by child I mean until I was like 15 or 16.

If you are feeling less than blessed right now, I want to assure you that if you have yet to find your uber awesome talent, don't be jealous, you have to work at it. You will find yours too, it just takes a lot of hard work and dedication of useless information.

6 comments:

kickenchica said...

I have typed this message 4 times now, not sure why it isnt sticking.

I can call out the tail lights too, you were the master and I hope I can make you proud. Since I am in the "single" status, it is always fun to demonstrate my coolness to the male population too. And as with a cop it is nice to know by the headlights that you have one behind you rather than the other set of lights they use.

You should see cris, he is just like his momma with the cars, you would be proud.

rychelle said...

I didn't know I had such talented friends...

Becky said...

Oh cars! I noticed the same thing about our city!
I am married to a car guy so I am also a car girl. We would go to the autoshow every year as a date! Cars are a great hobby! They are a great way to impress your friends!!! We should chat! What is your dream car???

The Eagars said...

This is so funny. I love that you shared it with us. I had a friend in HS that could do the headlights thing too. I never knew there was someone else out there that could do it! Now I need to go find my talent.

Lisbun said...

I remember that night in front of the clothing store. I am so not talented at this at all! I find that I get told I'm good at something and its some kind of validation that I don't need to pursue it any longer and loses speed. I guess I'll continue to work at it if I suck at it. LOL. Thanks for the Laugh!

Olivia Meikle said...

Did I ever tell you about my family's "knack" theory? EVeryone has a "knack"--one of these totally useless talents, and an anit-knack--some weird bad thing that always ends up happening to only you. I'd say this is one of the cooler knacks I've heard of. My cousin can find a 4 leaf clover in any patch of clover in less that 7 seconds. But I'd say yours is a close second.

So what's your anti-knack? I didn't get a fortue in my fortune cookies for one whole year. My cousin will always, always get his jacket or shirt or pocket or omething caught on some part of the car while climbing out. My screenwriter uncle gets left out of the credits of every movie he works on. Every time. It's crazy.