Sunday, August 3, 2008

Service


Today's Sunday lesson was about listening to the spirit and ultimately serving others as a way for our Father in Heaven to answer prayers.

I have personally had several experiences in the past 8 years alone where each of these instances have manifested themselves to me. I cannot deny the Gospel or the wonderful blessings we receive because of our faith. The power that the Priesthood brings alone, is truly a miracle.

Today after church I was in need of someone to watch the children at the drop of a hat. I made one phone call and there wasn't even a hesitation on the other end. It was an immediate "Bring them over!" How grateful I was to have someone so willing to help and not even know why I needed it. But the best part wasn't even the service they were providing. They didn't stop there. Another phone call was made to another person in our ward and soon thereafter a visit was made to bring comfort to us in an instance that might otherwise be overwhelming.

I know that neither of these wonderful people thought twice about what they were doing or even why. Both Cory and I walked away with a nice warm fuzzy feeling knowing that our Father in Heaven was watching over us and answering our prayers. So just as my inspiration quote this last week says- it is through others that our needs are met.

I have had a difficult time making friends since our move. I find it hard not to make myself seem so crazy when I have to tote 4 obnoxious kids every where I go. It is not that there aren't friends to be made, it is just that I was comfortable in Washington and I did not feel like I had to explain Chandler's behavior to anyone. Now that Alyssa has picked up a lot of the same behavior it is ever more challenging for me to feel confident enough that they won't humiliate me as a mother - so I have opted to stay more to myself.
The reason I share this is because the visit that was made to us today was unexpected and at first almost seemed intrusive, but within minutes of the arrival of these two wonderful people, both Cory and I were comforted. We both felt as though we had found someone we can really get to know. I think commonly when you are new to a ward we look for others who are like us. They are the same age, have kids, and so on. But this couple no longer have children living at home and have been through a lot of the same experiences we are going through. I know that our Father in Heaven prompted the first person to notify the second because these people could meet our needs today.

I become emotional just thinking about how much we must be loved to receive so many blessings. WE truly have a wonderful support and I am grateful for the members in the church that help fulfill the needs of others through Service.
I know that it is sometimes hard to serve others, but as I was told once, it is also o.k. to be the one being served. This is how others receive the blessings of service. So thank you to each of you who have served even if it was difficult.
By helping others you have also helped me, and I will help others so that you may be helped in your time of need.

No comments: