Monday, June 14, 2010

Our first week in Wisconsin


Whew! We made it and in one piece. Sort of. Moving day was not without incident, but with the help of some pretty amazing people, we made it through. I would be lying if I didn't tell you there was a lot of praying, holding my breath and faith. There was an accident with the auto transport (thank goodness for the optional insurance), the 26 foot moving truck got stuck in the back yard, we tried to tow it out with a mini van- but yep, a totally loaded down half semi wasn't going to budge. Luckily our neighbor noticed our efforts and offered to pull us out with his suburban.

The week has gone by fairly quickly. I was able to get the three older children registered for school this next fall, apply for medical insurance, change our address with some important places, get lost twice, find the mall and find a grocery store I can drive to without getting lost :)

This last weekend, we journeyed into downtown Milwaukee. we had to avoid the waterfront because the air show was happening down there and the traffic was crazy. But it was nice to see buildings taller than 4 stories and drive for twenty minutes and not be in corn country. Me and Milwaukee are going to get a long just fine.

As far as friends for the kids- well, they are not lacking. Our neighborhood is chalked full of them and it is amazing how putting up ones trampoline becomes a magnet for the neighborhood. Our doorbell is promptly rang at 8am every morning and we are telling them they have to leave at bedtime. Friends for me on the other hand, not going to be as fluid. This may take some time, but at least the kids aren't telling me they are bored every day and you just can't put a price on that!

Grandma is rumored to make an appearance here soon and we couldn't be more excited. Actually I am pretty sure I am more excited than the kids- but we are hoping to have some fun while she visits. It will be nice to have an adult to talk with.

So, here we are. Settling in, and trying to find a routine. Getting used to the different weather in June, and the house is great. There is a play room- need I say more?















4 comments:

Rachelle said...

Hooray!! You made it there and I'm sure friends will come with time. I love Wisconsin, I'm sure you guys will have a great time in the new location. Keep those updates coming:)

Joe Urvina said...

Good luck guys, we miss you!

Barnes Blog said...

It sounds and looks like you guys are adjusting and very excited for this new chapter. I am a little jealous, I love new places and new houses and new things. I am the worst with direction and very good at getting lost, so good luck. We love and miss you and your family!

Becky said...

Oh yeay! I am glad you are getting there! I am grateful for the little new friends in the neighborhood for the kiddies (thank heaven for trampolines, great ice breakers!). Yeay for tall buildings for you!! I know how you feel about friends! It takes time and that's ok! Until then, I am still here!!!