Most of my days consist of laundry, feeding the children, picking up around the house, vacuuming twelve times and playing referee to the arguments between them.
Summer break so far is really no different. Summer break in my opinion is not for mothers to enjoy any time off from anything, in fact it is probably more work.
I have chosen to see the beauty in all of it. The sweet smiles, the glisten in their eyes as we jump on the trampoline together, the little moment that I whisper, you're beautiful, or the surprise hug around their belly.
There are so many days that I wake exhausted and tired and ready to pull the covers over my head, and yet I do not. Some days I feel as though I put in just enough effort to mark that day off my calendar and others, the amount of hours in a day are not enough.
Not enough to enjoy the laughter, the smiles, the glow around their beautiful faces. The way they talk or the length of time they talk. Sometimes so fast you wish you could just finish their sentence for them so they could take a breath.
These are the days I choose to live for this summer. Beans is Five almost six and while she knows how to ride a bike with training wheels, we took the plunge and removed them yesterday. I always had an excuse for another day, when really I just needed to give her my attention and teach her.
So many things change so fast and I was letting all the fun slip right past me. In amongst the piles of laundry, the stacks of dishes and the stuff on the floor. I lost track of what is most important to me. Them.
Summer will not be overlooked. For the third day in a row, I have heard "this is the bestest day ever, mommy."
I had not thought anything special of that day from any other, but if it was to them, than I have done my job.
I want my children to be able to look back and remember all the fun they had with mom. Sometimes I feel as though I am only seen as the discipline, or the means to food. It is not entirely bad, as these things are necessary, but I just don't get near as many good hugs and kisses as dad.
All of that is about to change. :)

Summer break so far is really no different. Summer break in my opinion is not for mothers to enjoy any time off from anything, in fact it is probably more work.
I have chosen to see the beauty in all of it. The sweet smiles, the glisten in their eyes as we jump on the trampoline together, the little moment that I whisper, you're beautiful, or the surprise hug around their belly.
There are so many days that I wake exhausted and tired and ready to pull the covers over my head, and yet I do not. Some days I feel as though I put in just enough effort to mark that day off my calendar and others, the amount of hours in a day are not enough.
Not enough to enjoy the laughter, the smiles, the glow around their beautiful faces. The way they talk or the length of time they talk. Sometimes so fast you wish you could just finish their sentence for them so they could take a breath.
These are the days I choose to live for this summer. Beans is Five almost six and while she knows how to ride a bike with training wheels, we took the plunge and removed them yesterday. I always had an excuse for another day, when really I just needed to give her my attention and teach her.
So many things change so fast and I was letting all the fun slip right past me. In amongst the piles of laundry, the stacks of dishes and the stuff on the floor. I lost track of what is most important to me. Them.
Summer will not be overlooked. For the third day in a row, I have heard "this is the bestest day ever, mommy."
I had not thought anything special of that day from any other, but if it was to them, than I have done my job.
I want my children to be able to look back and remember all the fun they had with mom. Sometimes I feel as though I am only seen as the discipline, or the means to food. It is not entirely bad, as these things are necessary, but I just don't get near as many good hugs and kisses as dad.
All of that is about to change. :)





No comments:
Post a Comment