Friday, June 27, 2008

Eight Wonderful Years , 4 1/2 Kids, and a Great Marriage!

So today is our 8th Anniversary, and today we both decided to blog about it, not realizing the other was doing so. Cory told me later he had done so and I had yet to post mine because I wanted to add a picture. After reading Cory's I decided that I wasn't going to post mine because they were so much alike. Then I realized that I should because they are so much alike. It is a true testament to our marriage that we both picked this day to blog about and how we both feel about it. So read on - they are both similar, yet written separately and without the other knowing. Enjoy.

Would love to look like this now!

Exchanging rings- sorry for the poor picture quality, we didn't have digital back then :)

Tuesday, June 27, 2000 at 7:00pm, Cory and I were married for Time in a Burnsville, MN Relief Society room by the Stake President. It was a small crowd with 2 Bishops, the Relief Society President, my home teacher, and my boss.

Cory wore a nice navy blue suit and I wore a white blouse with blue skirt.
The ceremony was a lot like a class in Sunday School at church. We began with an opening hymn "Families can be Together Forever" and then a prayer.
The Stake President spoke for a few moments on marriage and then asked us to stand in front.
I remember seeing that the Relief Society President tried to make the room look nice, she covered the chalk board with a white table cloth and added a vase with flowers on the table next to us. The Stake President spoke to us about marriage and the many little stones we would have tossed in our way. He promised us the pitter patter of many little feet, and blessings of happiness if we put Christ first.

The ceremony was followed by a nice reception at my boss' home. His wife stated that it was a practice run for her since her daughter would someday be married. I don't remember a lot about the reception, except that Cory and I both promised not to smash cake in each others faces and then he did. :)

One week later we would be driving a Uhaul across North Dakota, Montana and Idaho to return to Washington State.

We have since been sealed for Time and Eternity in the Portland, Oregon Temple. It would be almost 5 years later exactly. (June 24, 2006)

As I think back to these 2 great events in my life, none of them would be possible if it wasn't for the "email"

Cory was always emailing me while we were both working. Because of his busy schedule, they usually consisted of a "to-do list". So when I received an email from him that had the words "Will you" in the subject line, I assumed when I opened it, it would be followed by " pick up my dry cleaning" or " go to my house and check on my cats" or "think of some place to go for dinner tonight" To my surprise it said "Marry Me?"

I thought this was a joke and if I ignored it, then that would be the end of the subject. Later that evening at dinner he told me he was serious and wanted to know my answer. We hadn't really been dating, we had always done everything with each other, and spent all of our free time with each other, but we were just really good friends. It was almost like something hitting me over the head when I said yes, the light bulb came on. We had been dating, and who better to marry than your best friend?
I believe to this day, that Cory and I get a long so well and have such a great marriage because we had over a year of just being friends. There was no pressure to impress and we saw each other for who we were.

I do have to say that our choice of dinner that night was Italian and both Cory and I got food poisoning from the food and were sick for 2 days after that, but the moment was nice.

So here we are, 8 years later, 4 1/2 kids (including Sarah) and a friendship with the most wonderful man I know. I love you Cory. Thank you for being my Best Friend, a fantastic Husband and loving Father. I know that marrying you was the biggest blessing in my life and I thank Heavenly Father every day.

We continue to kick those small stones out of our way and we have definitely been blessed with the pitter patter of many little feet. I don't know what our future holds, but I'm sure it will also be a blast!

1 comment: