Thursday, May 15, 2008

Kadys Debut





What a great day to have a baby. Everything went so smooth, and as I have time to reflect on exactly what happened today, I can describe the events of the day better than I did below.

We awoke about 5:30 this morning (although Melinda was up most of the night), we got the kids up and ready and took them to their destination for the day.

Melinda and I then headed to Genesis, checked in and were off to room 5111. Since we have a base of comparison, I can tell you that this was the nicest room that we have had for a delivery. The Nurse was amazing, and told us what would happen every step of the way. This was important for Melinda because she had some nerves about inducing labor.

They got the medication going almost immediately, and Melinda began to rest. I took the opportunity to visit the cafeteria and have a quick bite to eat (they don't take credit cards by the way, which was confusing because of the little credit card machine they had next to the register). After taking a few mintues to eat, I headed back to the room, and began to rest. That's when the nurse suggested that we start walking to get contractions going. So we walked the fifth floor for about 20 minutes. The contractions became more and more frequent, so we went back to our room to labor. After a while, I had fallen a sleep, when Melinda woke me up to tell me that we needed to begin walking again.

So - we started walking again. This time, the contractions came about every two minutes, and lasted a good 40 seconds or so. As they became more and more painful, we decided to head back to our room and ask for pain medicine (you see, last time, with Spencer, we missed the "cut off" for pain medicine, and thus, Melinda got to feel every second of Spencer).

They responded immediately, and Melinda could not feel her legs within minutes. I then decided to go back to sleep for a few minutes before the fireworks would begin.


Once again, Melinda woke me up - this time, it was a little different.
"I am feeling a little pressure," she said.

The nurse then agreed to check her to see how we were progressing.
What she discovered is the baby was crowning, and Melinda couldn't really feel it.
The doctor was then called in, and Melinda was instructed to push - in the middle of the first push, I told some sort of joke, and she began to laugh - and the proceeded to laugh the baby out in one push / laugh sequence.

At 2:16 on May 15th, Kadence Elizabeth came into the world, a whopping 9 lbs 9 oz and 20.5 inches long. Of course just like her Mother, she's perfect.

More Pictures Tomorrow. It's been a long day.

No comments: